2017 F350 SRW Tow Capacity

Dockmaster

Reaction score
I'm looking to get an excavator and dump trailer. I would like to get the largest machine I can safely tow behind my 2017 F350 SRW crew cab p/u. It's the longbed which I think is 171" wheelbase with 6.7 powerstroke. There is lots of conflicting info out there on tow capacity. I looked in my owner's manual and it only provides a max GCWR of 28,600. I was surprised there is not a chart for bumper pull vs. gooseneck. The truck is right about 9k empty so based on the GCWR in the manual I would be less than 20k regardless of bumper pull or GN. I have the heavy duty 3" bumper pull hitch that is rated for 21k.  I can get an excavator this is about 11,000 #'s and a dump trailer that will be about 7,000 for a total of 18,000 #'s. I was really hoping to go up to a machine around 17k and a trailer that is 8k figuring I could do closer to 25k on a gooseneck. Perhaps I need to set my sites on the smaller machine and trailer? I won't tow the set up often. For some reason I thought a GN rating would be much higher. 

Some 14 plies on a tandem dual gooseneck and you can haul anything you want. Your biggest limitation is going to be your tires. That truck will pull anything you put behind it. 

If you were going long distances and highway speeds then a bigger truck would be a must but short, close trips are no problem.

The only part of my owner's manual I ever look at is the fuse diagram and maybe to learn how some of the gadgets work.

Last edited by a moderator:
get the gooseneck trailer your going to have a lot of tongue weight on a bumper pull and when you load and unload the rear of the truck will be in the air. i have a 2017 f450 i dont know the tow ratings but a pull a 48ft pace enclosed trailer i scale out at 35k total   6k on steer 12k on rear axel 6+6+6k on the trailer. it pulls great goes back and forth from nj to ca every year i cruse between 70 to 80 the whole way. your tires are going to be your limit.     this trailer has a 17500 carying capacity but it will be too much for a single rear wheel https://www.kaufmantrailers.com/dump-trailers/gooseneck-dump-trailers/25000-gvwr-deluxe-tandem-dual-gooseneck-dump-trailer-20-ft-x-90-in/

Last edited by a moderator:
I tow daily.  Biggest i would go would be a 50 or 55 off the bumper and an 80 with a gooseneck.  Excavators are classed in metric tons, so 80 is 8.0 metric tons (2200 lbs) or roughly 18k....  biggest deal is being loaded correctly.  Supposedly the '23 super duty comes with air scales which is really nice.  Even my dually lets me know if the 50 is in wrong spot on the trailer.

My first machine I towed home at 18 years old from Idaho to CA, that was 20 years ago, I’ve been towing for a little bit. The heaviest I tow with my Chevy srw on a bumper pull is a 13,897lb machine and i know that machine is back there.
Anything heavier and I feel I’m opening  myself up to problems. I have a 18.5k lb excavator and I don’t tow it with my truck.  

If I had a dually with gooseneck and the right trailer  I would feel much more comfortable pulling 20k lb. or more. 

you’re truck can do it, but that doesn’t mean you should. If you’re going to buy an excavator and tow it yourself, you need the right equipment to do it with. If you’re in CA, don’t think you won’t be pulled over and weighted.  ca also requires a class A commercial for anything over 10k. 

good luck on your venture. 

Make sure you're not trying to tow all that with the regular class c driver's license. If passing scales or highway patrol  you will have problems. Non commercial class a minimum here in California. Don't forget you're most likely to have to add a transfer tank for diesel fuel, and carry multiple sized buckets for the machine also. 

Back