2015 Stealth Toy Hauler Shitty Flaky Leather

nzulmer

Reaction score
Anyone on here have had to deal with the shitty flaky leather that forest river used on their toy hauler couches/misc upholstery? The chit is installed everywhere and makes a mess everytime we use the toy hauler. Trying to find a relatively cost effective solution. I just need to get the fold down couch and rear bed/couch fixed or replaced. I have found full on replacements on the internet by recpro and I have an upholstery guy i am getting a quote from. Just curious to hear what some of the GD.com members have done or have spent to remedy the issue. 

Anyone on here have had to deal with the shitty flaky leather that forest river used on their toy hauler couches/misc upholstery? The chit is installed everywhere and makes a mess everytime we use the toy hauler. Trying to find a relatively cost effective solution. I just need to get the fold down couch and rear bed/couch fixed or replaced. I have found full on replacements on the internet by recpro and I have an upholstery guy i am getting a quote from. Just curious to hear what some of the GD.com members have done or have spent to remedy the issue. 
This seems to be an industry issue cause I see that flaky faux leather sofa and seat problems in motorhomes too....low mileage units that are less then 10 years old...WTF?

This seems to be an industry issue cause I see that flaky faux leather sofa and seat problems in motorhomes too....low mileage units that are less then 10 years old...WTF?
For what we pay, its BS. Forest River and the manufacturer of the furniture will not warranty it either. At this point, I'd rather them be cloth like my old attitude. 

For what we pay, its BS. Forest River and the manufacturer of the furniture will not warranty it either. At this point, I'd rather them be cloth like my old attitude. 
Unfortunately it is not just a Forest River issue we had a 2018 Newmar Ventana and it was doing the same thing in less than 20000 miles it really sucks. We looked into replacement furniture and having it reupholstered in the end we ended up getting rid of it and going a different direction. I think the best solution is to reupholster. Good luck to the op it really sucks you can’t get better quality for what you have to pay. I have decided it doesn’t  matter the brand , the amount spent all rv’s are a POS my  .02

Unfortunately it is not just a Forest River issue we had a 2018 Newmar Ventana and it was doing the same thing in less than 20000 miles it really sucks. We looked into replacement furniture and having it reupholstered in the end we ended up getting rid of it and going a different direction. I think the best solution is to reupholster. Good luck to the op it really sucks you can’t get better quality for what you have to pay. I have decided it doesn’t  matter the brand , the amount spent all rv’s are a POS my  .02
Thanks man. That's what I am hearing too. There is just no way around it. I'm thinking the reupholster route is probably best. I am curious about what other people have done when it comes to the reupholster route cost/quality wise. 

Was the "5 gallon bucket of water" trick used and did you use any sort of Leather/Vinyl conditioner during the storage of the rig?

Those two action items are imperative when storing an RV during any period of time. Same as keeping water in the toilet to preserve the rubber seal.

My Attitude is 3 years old, everything still looks like new using these 10 minute tasks.
Yup, I always have buckets of water in the trailer for the hot times of the year when storing. I was told to not to use conditioner because its not real leather and could ruin it. Sounds like I should have done it anyway. I will definitely use it when they get reupholstered. Thanks for the input on that. 

Yup, I always have buckets of water in the trailer for the hot times of the year when storing. I was told to not to use conditioner because its not real leather and could ruin it. Sounds like I should have done it anyway. I will definitely use it when they get reupholstered. Thanks for the input on that. 
Be extremely careful what you put on Ultra Leather. It's not leather, It's a thin synthetic bonded to a cloth backing. The entire industry is having problems with the stuff.  

Be extremely careful what you put on Ultra Leather. It's not leather, It's a thin synthetic bonded to a cloth backing. The entire industry is having problems with the stuff.  
I figured as much. I am just going the reupholster route and making sure its either real leather or cloth when I redo it. 

From about 2012-2018ish, Flexsteel which was the biggest RV furniture maker used an inferior chinese ultra-leather.

Toyhaulers all the way to million dollar coaches have that same flaking materials in those years.

Back