2008 2500hd oil choices

LegitDuner

Reaction score
My truck has had low oil pressure for quite some time. At hot idle it's about 18 PSI and at 4000 RPMs it's 40 PSI. (Confirmed with mechanical gauge) I've installed a new high volume/high pressure oil pump and tried different oil filters in hopes that one might maintain pressure better than others, (which they do by the way.)

Truck runs perfect no noises, no ticks, no knocking but it drives me batshit looking at the oil gauge. Does anybody run higher viscosity oil in these things?  People say that bearing tolerance are tight and not to use heavier oil but this thing has 211000 miles. A lot of people are saying my oil pressure is just fine but again, it just drives me batshit. I feel like putting tape over the gauge face.

I was thinking going 5w/40.. 

What's it call for?
5/30

After a new oil change my pressures are fairly normal but that only lasts for about a thousand miles. I've tried many brands of oils to see if one would stay it's rated viscosity but obviously they're not or something else is going on I don't know about.

Last edited by a moderator:
That oil pressure is fine. Any idea what chevy tech's would deem "low" pressure?
So I keep hearing that the oil pressure is fine but it's unnerving when you go past 4000 RPMs and hold it cuz I'm used to the 10 psi per 1000 RPM minimum.

From what I read on the internet, Chevy techs say the pressure iss low when the oil light comes on.. haha.

Is it the twin turbo 2.4 v8?

When you installed the new HD pump, did it lower the PU tube lower, closer to the bottom the pan (bad).

For years, that was all a SBC ran.

Chevytalk.org

Is it the twin turbo 2.4 v8?

When you installed the new HD pump, did it lower the PU tube lower, closer to the bottom the pan (bad).

For years, that was all a SBC ran.

Chevytalk.org
It's the ly6 6.0l gas motor. To be quite honest, I never thought to check clearance between the pick up and oil pan, didn't think it would move since it was supposed to be a direct replacement. Oil pressure got better when I put the pump on just not to my liking. 

Put the 5w/40 in yesterday and pressures all good to me. (32 idle and 55 at 4k) a lot of things I read said thicker oil won't allow oil to the top end which I think is bulshit but I guess we'll see. If it blows it blows, looking at that low oil pressure gauge was driving me nuts didn't even want to drive it. (Ocd in full effect) 😁

19555-large.jpg

problem solved.  its how I fixed the ABS on my old Furd Truck.

Back