2006 Silverado/Sierra 2500HD front clip swap?

ElCaminoManT

Reaction score
Anyone ever done this? I have the opportunity to do this to my Silverado. Straight swap, trucks are same year and color. I've had my truck for just shy of 17 years with no plans to get rid of it. I personally prefer the GMC front end over the Cat-Eye Chevy but bought the Chevy because I worked at a Chevy dealer and got a smoking deal that I could not get on a GMC. My buddy just picked up an 8.1 Sierra and he prefers the Chevy front end so we got to discussing swapping front clips yesterday......

E2619234-058E-4E98-B61D-B6F0638E7B15.jpeg

EC03AFF2-244D-4A4E-94EE-E92B9F68E232.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FOG
Should be straight forwards and simple. Only rub may be wiring connections for lamps. 

Should be straight forwards and simple. Only rub may be wiring connections for lamps. 
I *think* the wiring should be the same as the front lighting uses all the same bulbs albeit maybe the sockets themselves are different? The one thing that I'm unsure of is the radiator/core support. I know there is a difference between the diesel and the gas trucks (mine is diesel, his is the 8.1) but it seems like they both use the same supports per part numbers if they're both gas equipped or diesel equipped so it seems it does not matter for the body aspect?

Well go to your parts department and ask if there are two different core supports depending on motor. Another possibility would be to swap sheet metal and not support. This would save a lot of change with radiator, a/c condenser, coolers and what not.

Well go to your parts department and ask if there are two different core supports depending on motor. Another possibility would be to swap sheet metal and not support. This would save a lot of change with radiator, a/c condenser, coolers and what not.
Think that's what I'll do. Because yeah, that would be a lot of extra work if it isn't necessary.

Man I’d keep the one you have. I have an 04 but like the 95-07 front clips. 

Man I’d keep the one you have. I have an 04 but like the 95-07 front clips. 

Heck, I've even thought about the 01-02 HD front end swap. The Cat-eye front ends have always looked out of place to me on this body style since the trucks started out without the sharp angles that the 03+ has on the front end that seems like a mismatch to the rest of the truck behind it. It's all personal preference obviously.

Think that's what I'll do. Because yeah, that would be a lot of extra work if it isn't necessary.
I would bet the sheet metal will change over without any issues. Heck the inner fenders probably change over as well so you could use yours that you now have. Sometimes we found that mounting head light brackets or other small items may not have the pre-drilled holes, but all it takes is a drill.

Your buddies GMC has been upgraded with Denali headlight assemblies (or maybe aftermarket knock-offs). If they are OEM, they will be a significant upgrade over your Chevy lights.  I've been running them on my 2006 Sierra since about 2008 or so and they're really good.  A drop in HID kits works great in those projectors and has a great cut-off, so it will not blind other drivers.

20230423_102234~2.jpg

Your buddies GMC has been upgraded with Denali headlight assemblies (or maybe aftermarket knock-offs). If they are OEM, they will be a significant upgrade over your Chevy lights.  I've been running them on my 2006 Sierra since about 2008 or so and they're really good.  A drop in HID kits works great in those projectors and has a great cut-off, so it will not blind other drivers.

View attachment 69681
His are the DEPO aftermarket housings and still very good. Totally agree on them being far superior to the standard GMC lights as well as the Chevy lights. I put a set of genuine housings in my mom's 1500 Sierra a while back and even with a cheap set of LEDs, they're the business.

I have an 05 Sierra 3500 and personally like the look of the round fog lights. 

Of all the crazy things I've seen on this site, this one takes the cake! 😅

Should be pretty straight forward I think. Imagine trying to explain to a buyer "uhm, I hated the Chevrolet so I made it a GMC" 

For sale "Chevy Sierra" 😆 epic 

No crap from me as I love my GMC and now wouldn't ever go Chevrolet since but your buddy is downgrading lol (depending who you ask obv)😁

Of all the crazy things I've seen on this site, this one takes the cake! 😅

Should be pretty straight forward I think. Imagine trying to explain to a buyer "uhm, I hated the Chevrolet so I made it a GMC" 

For sale "Chevy Sierra" 😆 epic 

No crap from me as I love my GMC and now wouldn't ever go Chevrolet since but your buddy is downgrading lol (depending who you ask obv)😁
Hey, glad I could provide some entertainment value.

It's similar to the old mk4 VW days when we'd swap the front ends on Jettas and Golfs/GTIs making them JTIs, Gettas, Jolfs :laugh1:

Check them super carefully for paint match?  Even parked north vs. south for the last 17 years will result in significant drift.  Well, significant enough for your anal-retentiveness.

Also, re-ceramic the front I assume? :biggrin:

Check them super carefully for paint match?  Even parked north vs. south for the last 17 years will result in significant drift.  Well, significant enough for your anal-retentiveness.

Also, re-ceramic the front I assume? :biggrin:
Effin guy but you know me well

And yep!

LOL, it's something that would bother me.  Birds of a feather and all :biggrin:
That was my first thought as well. May be the same paint code but even a half a shade off would be enough to drive me crazy.  

That was my first thought as well. May be the same paint code but even a half a shade off would be enough to drive me crazy.  
Yep. I decided not to do it. Aside from the fact that my truck has never been apart, I can't bring myself to tear it apart in that way.

Back