Which bike?

jailbird141

Reaction score
Looking at pulling the trigger on a dirt bike for my 13 year old daughter. I am trying to decide between a Kawaski KLX 140RL or the Yamaha R125LE. Anyone have any experience or input on which bike they feel is better? I am well aware of the basic specs like wheel size, seat height, weight and engine size. We have even sat on both bikes and talked to people with each. I am just looking for anymore input before I make a decision. It will likely be the 2023 model of each, unless the dealer makes an amazing deal on a 2022. Probably will be primarily used in the dirt but occasional sand. Please, any input regarding the bike or even the reliability of the Kawasaki or Yamaha would be appreciated. 

If I were you I would get her the Honda CRF150R big wheel.   She will be on that bike for a while before needing to jump to a 250.  A much better bike then the Kawi or Yamaha.   

My kid has the 150r for 3 years before jumping up to a 250 last year.   The Honda 150R is a legit dirt bike with plenty of power to get around the desert, track, or dunes.    

If she is just a casual rider then either you mentioned should be ok.  My daughter has the klx140L and for dirt it does fine.  Not a race bike but I'm assuming if you wanted a race bike you'd be looking at the crf150.  My daughter has a 22klx 140L and we've had no problems so far.   

I went through this with both my daughters, and a lot of bikes to get there.  (LTZ 400s, TRX 450, CRF450, CRF 250, CRF150 (air cooled), CRF 150 Big wheel, TTR110, TTR125, the list goes on)

If you ride the dunes, the CRF150 Big wheel is the smallest I'd go. (not to be confused with the air cooled 150...you want/need the water cooled 150).  This was the smallest engine that had enough power.  

The best option I found was a CRF 250R and then had Precision Concepts lower the shocks internally.  They machine a groove in the shaft 2 inched down and clip the shock internally.  This keeps the ride height even and balanced.  No center of gravity issues.  This bike almost felt like a 250 powered camp bike.  It was a lot of fun.  She will never have power issues and as she grows, you can just have whoever rebuilds the shocks reset the clip. It has no effect on the shock, just limits the ride height.  I think this cost me like $750 at the time.  You won't need any other mods or worry about shaving the seat.

If you play with lowering links, pushing the shocks up in the triple clamps, etc...you run into balance problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im a proponent of more power is much safer in the dunes. 
keep that front tire up ontop of the sand

Last edited by a moderator:
Looked up specs for fun and the Kawi seems way better. 

Electric start and mellow powerband would be my choice for the dirt. 

My oldest son used a honda CRF150 for 1 season he was like 15 and about 5'3 . He did his research and found the 2021 KX250 to be the right bike due to weight and seat height. He loves it. My youngest which was 12 years of age at the time used the crf150 for 1 trip and did not like the bike at all. On the next trip my oldest didn't go so we took the kx250 to glamis and he rode the bike all day long.  He loved the bike. The weekend after I got him a 2021 kx250 also. 

The bike is very nimble, skinny, playful feeling. I used it in one of our trips and loved it too. We are on the smaller size 5'4 - 5'5 😒🤷‍♂️. I would just buy her the 2021 kx250. Im not sure on the other years though. I think from 2020 to 2021 they changed alot the 250's. It's a really nice bike that sits on a 450 frame but super skinny bike. It might even be easier to ride because it will be heavier. Its electric start also. I would recommend it highly. 

Back