kids on dirt bikes in the dunes?

Brian Machnach

Reaction score
any of you guys have or had younger kids in the dunes on dirt bikes? hole family rides quads and sxs then my kids got Honda and Kawasaki 110 dirt bikes like 3 years ago to mess around on and really got into 2 wheels.since then my 12 year old has  gotten really good on a dirt bike with wheelies and jumps so I got him a used Kawasaki 140 that he was beating the snot out of as its a trail/yard kinda beginner dirt bike so sold it and got his a brand new 2021 kx85.hes only 12 years old 5'4 and not even 100 lbs and he's sending it on jumps I won't even hit myself.he wants to put a paddle on it and take it into the dunes this year.1st im thinking the little 85 is gonna be screaming in the dunes and ill be doing a lot of top ends and 2nd  I don't see a lot of smaller kids on dirt bikes in the dunes.just wondering on all your thoughts?.and im not talking the big dunes but going into small/med ones and rip it up olds.i did see a father/son on top of olds like a 2 years ago both on Kawasaki's and the little guy was on I wanna say kx65 or 85 and shredded the hill on it.

There’s a couple of kids in our group that ride dirt bikes. I think they are about 15 and 13, plus or minus. The 15 year old just got a Rzr, so he mostly takes that now. The 13 year old is still riding his 450, and he gets it. He has no issues keeping up and most of the time when I look back in the mirror he’s carrying the front wheel over something. He usually takes the number 2 spot and his dad has to stay far enough back to balance watching what’s going on and trying to keep his wife from having a panic attack 🤣

My buddy had his son on a KX 85 at Pismo with a paddle, scooted around fine, until he went flying off a dune and broke his collar bone.  (That can happen to anyone who misreads the dunes)  Personally, you should get him a Honda 150 4stroke, or just bite the bullet and get him a 125, 150 2 stroke, and then get into 250+ 4 strokes.  With the Honda, you can start with a small wheel at first, if he can't touch at all, and then convert it into a big wheel, and have the benefit of a 4 stroke, which means a lot less work for you on maint.

Throw a paddle on it and let him rip, he is going to love it. 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
hes only 12 years old 5'4 and not even 100 lbs and he's sending it on jumps I won't even hit myself.
This part is awesome!!! Pretty much describes me at a mx track during practice. Little kids on 80s just flying!!! Hitting stuff im not even trying on a 250. 

Did you sell the 110s? They do ok in glamis. Even an adult can ride the little dunes on them. Bummer part is they dont use a rim lock on the wheel. You want to drop air pressure for the sand but then the tire starts to rotate on the wheel and can pop the tube. 

Not sure if they make it for your new bike. But those Tusk radiator water temp gauges come in handy. I was surprised how hot my bike runs out in glamis. I will look down at the temp gauge and alter my riding. If it starts getting hot i try to ease up and face the wind if possible. Get the speed up. Your son sounds like hes a good enough rider to do the same.

Keep an eye on the chain as well. A lower friction track type of chain might stretch out in a weekend. I stopped using that style because i never hit a track anymore and the bike mostly sees glamis. But a stretched chain can be your friend. Sometimes the paddle will want to hit the rear linkage. It will rip chunks clean off your brand new paddle tire. If you have an older stretched chain that could work. For years and years i had to run double masterlinks to clear a paddle. 

If the bike happens to struggle because of tire sire or getting too hot. Could try again after a rainstorm. The compacted wet dunes are a lot of fun on a dirt bike. The smaller size bike will have an easier time staying on top the sand. 

The smallest bike we ever took out is the 110s. Also take a 150r big wheel with a paddle. It does decent. Could be a good choice when he gets older. The one here will probably be for sale in a couple years. Kids are bigger now. It came with a secondary shaved seat and lowering link thats not installed. 

With the Honda, you can start with a small wheel at first, if he can't touch at all, and then convert it into a big wheel, and have the benefit of a 4 stroke, which means a lot less work for you on maint.
Im with ya great bike!! Its been a few years. Are you familiar with the conversion? I think the big wheel uses a longer swingarm and there is another main component thats different. Possibly front brake related? 

If the OP was to go that route i think you want to buy the big wheel and possibly put smaller tires on it. Dont want to go the other way around. I seem to remember that being the case when we were looking for a 150r. Its hard to find the big wheel versions so we thought about getting the small bike and converting. It ended up being more involved than just 2 tires. 

But i could be wrong. Maybe you can put big tires on the small bike and use the small swingarm. I dont remember if the other parts were mandatory for the swap. I think thumpertalk has some threads on it if the OP gets to that point down the road. 

Yes you are correct in that there is more to it than just 2 larger rims and tires.  I do not remember exactly what that consists of, but I know there will be tons of info on the web available. 

The 2 stroke 85's can't really handle the abuse of climbing the larger dunes, and especially if the sand is really soft and deep, they just overheat, and puke out the coolant since there is no overflow tank either.  The 150 is the way to go as soon as he is old enough, experienced enough, and physically big/mature enough to safely ride one!!!!

Front Wheel: 19" front wheel. uses same hub assy(bearings etc) & brake rotor

Originally purchased complete stock / used wheel assy - but wasn't true when received - spent alot of time $$ to try and true -- this became a backup wheel with a small hop and I then built a complete front wheel. Reccomend building a wheel with Excel Rim (19X1.40) & heavy duty spoke Kit (28 spoke) - ReUse stock Hub ( but will need to drill out hub for the larger spokes).

Forks: Move down - 8mm measured from top fork bridge to fork cap.

No need to change spring rate - (match spring rate to rider weight).

We did find going to 10wt oil and 90mm from top was best - but also that's on a revalved fork assy.

Rear Wheel: 16" rear wheel. same Hub assy, brake rotor - sprocket change. Also reccomend same as front wheel to build the wheel.

Rim: 16X1.85 / 32 Spoke. Use the stock hub and drill out for the Heavy Duty Spokes.

Rear Sprocket: Stock 56T. We found a 55T seems all around best - MX track

Front Sprocket: stock 15T ( same SW or BW).

Drive Chain: 420 - 126 link ( sw = 120 link - need to change the chain).

Brake Rotor: same

Rear Brake Line: Use same as SW.

Swing Arm: Change to the BW swingarm (p/n: 06520-KSE-30) this is the POST recall ( current part#). bearings are pressed in and you can re-use the collor's , bolt etc. Watch for rust in the bearing assy, collors - clean up good , buff the collors and regrease - replace bearings if necessary if buying a used swing arm
Credit to JRK96 on Thumpertalk

My boy started riding his 65 with a paddle at about 8 in the sand. Small stuff and rolling dunes.

Then he rode an 85 until 12. He’s been on a 250 since and is 14 now. He can ride with just about anyone at most any pace.

paddle is the key and patience with them.

The first picture is of him on his 65 in Idaho. The rest on his 250.

765D43DF-70F3-4634-BC6F-791C000CD2A0.jpeg

98BB7198-4792-4890-A501-C14029333FAB.jpeg

6EB06C12-3C65-4B7A-87C3-78DBDC26DA9C.jpeg

ECFEAAC2-4495-4EBC-8FB8-A0E9993898F8.jpeg

Just like @Justgetnby my son started with a pw50 which didn't do much in sand. He then got a honda 150big wheel and was able to take it pretty much anywhere. Last year we got a new 2021 kx250 electric start and he says it rides like butter.  Easy to go up pretty much anywhere in glamis.  He is a small guy at 17 years like his dad maybe 5' 4" or 5' 5". I went to Johnson Valley last weekend and used and I loved the bike. Electric start is awesome.  Very playful bike. I had 250 2 stroke and 450 for many years riding in glamis. Now I'm looking for a 250 electric start though.  That is a must. I would say get him a 250. My sone wanted a ktm 125 and he is glad he got the 250. We got the suspension done at RG3 and he is good. A keeper.  

Back