CFMOTO new sport machine the Z Force Z10

NIKAL

Reaction score
I’ll start with a quick review of the specs. This car was unveiled a few weeks ago. This new car was designed in their U.S Minnesota Corp design & engineering office. It will be manufactured in Mexico like Polaris & Can Am do.

IMG_3329.jpeg

Here are the basic specs on this new car.
-All new 3 cylinder DOHC turbo 998cc with 143 hp at 7750rpms & 100ft lb of torque at 7000 rpm’s.
-Bosch EFI fuel injection system.
-900 watt stator with ability to add an alternator kit.
-64 inches wide. 2 seat chassis 99 inch WB, 4 seat chassis is 128 inch WB.
-17 inches front wheel travel, 20 inches in the rear.
-5 lug wheels with 30 inch tires.
-Fuel tank capacity is 9.9 gallons.

There is only one trim level and both 2 & 4 seat cars get the same standard features. Some of these features are;
-Apple car play
-4500 lbs winch with synthetic rope.
-Fox QSE shocks with 3 way compression adjustment that is adjusted on the dash & Eibach springs.
-Suspension seats with seat heaters. Also the seats have cutouts for 4-5 point harnesses.
-12.3 inch RideSync touch screen display with steering wheel controls.
-Rear view camera

$19,999 for the two seater
22,999 for the four seater
1 Year Factory Warranty comes standard.

Last edited:
So at this weekends Sand Sport Show I was able to meet up and speak with the lead designer of the CFMOTO ZForce Z10. BTW CFMOTO is spelled in caps.

This car was the vision of CFMOTO founder and President Guogui Lai. To build this car Mr Lai knew he had to put the right team together in the USA to make this happen. Mr Lai is committed to the USA market and future of CFMOTO in North America. The people behind this first USA design project came from Polaris, Can Am & Arctic Cat. These people were apart of the Polaris XP Pro, Pro series, Ranger & Expedition. The people from Can Am were apart of the X3 and a few other Can Am models. This Z10 project took just over 3 years to get to where we are today. (A side note about CFMOTO is they have been building motorcycles for KTM and just last year CFMOTO signed an agreement with Yamaha to build small engine motorcycles for the Asian market.)

Here was the original sketch of the Z10
IMG_3468.jpeg
I was shown some of the process and a full sized clay model was created. It was impressive to see a picture of this. Sorry I was not allowed to take or share pictures of this, but I hear they might be releasing a cool video showing some of this. Another very cool part of the process I was told was the development of the rear radiator was very complex. It would have been way easier to just put the radiator in the front, but that did not fit the vision. To R&D the rear radiator they actually bought a X3 as the X3 wheelbase and rear packaging was similar. They built there rear radiator cooling package and used the X3 as a test mule. This also allowed them to test in more places in plain view and yet not attract attention. I was told some of the different locations that the top brands do their testing, and in many cases current model cars are used with R&D parts on them. But it’s not common to use another brand car to build and test your parts with. But it was brilliant as it saved a ton of time and money. They did not have to build a car to see if the concept was viable. I thought this was pretty awesome.

The chassis is a full welded chassis with double shear suspension mounting points. I’m told that Polaris is still hand welding most of their chassis. CFMOTO is fully robotic welding theirs like Speed for a more consistent weld and penetration. Looking under the front hood I could see how the main chassis and upper shock mounts are properly tied in together. (Sorry I forgot to get a picture of it!!) The upper roll cage is 2 inch tubing. I asked tube thickness, and they shy’ed away from answering the question, but I was shown a preproduction wiring hole in the upper cage that won’t be in the production car, and from what I could see and feel, I’m guessing it was .083? It was thicker than what Polaris & Can Am are using, (Might be the same as the Pro R?) The 2 seat upper roll cage is one piece and the 4 seat is two pieces, but only has 2 roof connectors. The cage corner gussets are all fully welded tube. Not riveted & stitch welded like Can Am or stitch welded plate gussets like Polaris is doing on their sport machines. This was something they made a big point to do, and was pointed out to me a few times.

This same 3 cylinder engine is also being used in their new UForce U10 model utility UTV, but is non Turbo’ed. It’s producing 100hp, and from what it sounds like this engine is more than capable of producing more power. My guess is 30% in a N/A form? In the Z10 platform this engine is turbocharged, but is using a very low boost, and does not have an inner cooler. This is producing 143 HP. I’m told this tune & boost is very conservative and this engine has allot more to go. When I asked about reliability as past cars have not been known to be top contenders. It was first pointed out that CFMOTO actually has a good reputation for its engines, thus why KTM & Yamaha are using them. But that this engine, they are very confident in and they see it being a great foundation engine like the Rotax 999 has been in the Can Am X3. Also CFMOTO is so confident in their product they are giving you a 1 year factory warranty.

IMG_3335.jpeg

IMG_3441.jpeg

IMG_3340.jpeg
I have circled where the alternator kit would bolt in. The Stator cover would be removed with a new cover and pulley. I believe there would be a cover shielding it all from debris.
IMG_3470.jpeg

Looking at the suspension, comparing it to a Pro Turbo or Pro R is small. But this is a 64 inch wide car. Comparing it to other 64 inch cars it’s more robust in size and uses stamped plates welded up. Also the lower are is arched for increased ground clearance.
IMG_3472.png
The steering rack is on the back side of the front suspension, but for a 64 inch it looks big. I’m betting this is so it’s ready for a 72-74 inch wide car. The tie rods are big and the rack looks very much like a X3 rack. I’m told it’s not a direct swap, but I’d bet Shock Therapy could modify their X3 rack to fit this car. Maybe just a new housing to line up the mounting points?

IMG_3431.jpeg
Shocks are 2.5 and are called QSE. This is very similar to the 3 position Fox QS3 shock that you would find on the Polaris RZR or the Wildcat XX, but I’m told the compression adjustments between the 3 setting is increased and much more noticeable between soft & firm. The Z10 is the first to have this and the first to be able to adjust from the cab on the fly. So not a true smart shock, it is electric adjusted. This is also the only production UTV that comes with Eibach springs. (I’m told this could change to another manufacturer in later releases, as using Eibach is a big expense, but if they did switch they would want the same quality would just not a brand name. I’m thinking like Shock Therapy does with getting outsourced springs.

IMG_3430.jpegIMG_3439.jpeg
The rear suspension is a 4 link design, using a Polaris/Can Am style rear trailing arm, but the toe link is very different then the other two. Plus they changed up the axle design. The inner CV plunges, but then they let the center of the axle plunge too. This is similar to what you would see on the Arctic Cat XX. Time will tell how this all works, but it allows them 20 inches or rear wheel travel out of a 64 inch wide car. Will be interesting to see what they might do to a 74 inch car??

IMG_3440.jpeg

Now I started asking about the drivetrain & CVT. I thought I heard they were partnering up with Team Ind. which does Polaris’s drivetrain and CVT. I was told this was incorrect. This is being designed & manufactured in house, by a special team that just does drivetrain, and it was suggested it more resembles what you might see in a X3 vs a Polaris. The clutch uses a 6 spider roller, for strength and smoother operation. Again it was compared to the Can Am P-Drive and not a Team Ind production or design. The CVT has really good cooling ducting with the primary and secondary each having their own inlet and exhaust ports. I’m told the CVT cover we are looking at has a few improvements on the final production, which has improved the cooling a few more degrees. When I asked what the temperature of the CVT is running at. He said we like to see numbers in the 160 range with a max of 200 in maybe some slow hard rock crawling areas. But in testing they were able to quickly reduce the temperatures. They are very satisfied with what they have designed.
IMG_3438.jpegIMG_3344.jpegIMG_3353.jpegIMG_3354.jpeg

Looking at the fit & finish in person, the car looks really good. This does not look like a previous CFMOTO designed car. I’m told that the reason is this car and all future CFMOTO products for North America will be designed, engineered, marketed right here in Minnesota. Also everything will be manufactured in Mexico just like what Polaris & Can Am are doing. CFMOTO might be Chinese owned, but the U.S. market is truly U.S run.

Something interesting. Most 4 seat UTV’s are just a stretched 2 seat model, which this car is. But when it came to the body, to make the body lines right, the designers decided to not cut a corner and they made a complete new front doors, just for this model. Doing this was not a cheap investment as new drawings, tooling and molds had to be made. So the 4 seat truly has 4 spec’ed doors just for this model. This made the body lines flow as they should. Also all cars come with the basic prerun style bumper like on the black car. And the winch goes through the skid plate. The winch is mounted behind the grill above the differential.

IMG_3445.jpeg
The fuel cap is aluminum and mounted on the hood, and the fuel tank is similar to a Can Am. The aluminum cap was pointed out as a big deal because the other manufacturers would never let the designers spend the money on an aluminum gas cap, they would shoot it down instantly. But they were able to do it and it was a symbol they could really design somethings they way they wanted too.

IMG_3432.jpegThe rear radiator exhaust grill work

IMG_3443.jpeg
The doors are very nice and solid mounted. They use two hinges and to get the doors to open & close and line up was allot of work, but the effort made for a very sturdy door, that also has a rubber seal along the bottom of the door, not shown on this preproduction car.

IMG_3433.jpegIMG_3436.jpeg
Rear leg room is not as much as a Pro, X3 or KRX it’s more then the XP series, Hondas or Speed. At 6ft you have enough leg room, and you could gain more if the driver did not put the seat all the way back. I actually liked the front seat one to two clicks forward. The front leg room is excellent and you aren’t shifting your legs to the side due to the dead pedal. And the seats are very, very comfortable. Of course we don’t know long term the quality of the foam or breakdown. But I could see the aftermarket seat company’s making specialty bottom seat cushions, as those are removable. The front seats also come standard with seat heaters.

IMG_3437.jpegIMG_3336.jpeg

The dash layout is different and probably closer to the Segway Villain UTVs with its digital dash behind the steering wheel and large touch screen in the middle of the dash. It’s like something you would see in your passenger car. And we the licensing agreement to have Apple CarPlay, they had to meet Apples requirements and the screen speed & resolution had to be to there spec, again like your automobile. They are also very proud of the switches and arrangement. They are not fans of the marine rocker switches. They did add two knockouts in the center console for accessories that might require a rocker switch. They also leave a few more plug & play switches in the car ready for your accessories.
IMG_3434.jpegIMG_3429.jpeg
I really liked the passenger grab handle, it looks like the Polaris Pro series and is easy to adjust and locks firm. I could see accessories like a Garmin GPS getting mounted off the handle, but then again you have Bluetooth and CarPlay. You might not need another gps unit.IMG_3435.jpeg
Here is your head light switch controls. Circled are the two aux switches ready for your aftermarket light bars.IMG_3473.jpeg
Something else pretty cool. The steering has 3 setting for steering ease and feedback. Some like a soft easy turn and some like a more firm steering. This is all adjusted via the steering wheel and dash

Something else they are doing different, or like Speed is they moved the turbo to the back side of the engine to reduce heat and noise.

IMG_3335.jpeg
Here is the bottom side of the radiator. It looks like its design also helps push air out from under the bed and across the turbo.

IMG_3442.jpeg
Regarding brakes, I was told it’s very good, and they were very happy with the motion ratio of the brake pedal. Speaking of pedals. I was told to sit in the car and push the gas pedal. When I did the pedal was pressed down and my heal did not move or slide forward. They designed the pedal motion to move without your foot or heal having to move, which helps with fatigue. Some UTV’s with hanger pedals you have to push your foot forward as you are pressing the pedal because of its location and pivot. These are details this team learned from the years spent at Polaris, Can Am etc..

Now for the things I did not like. Right off the batt, I did not like the fact I don’t see a place or how to cleanly mount a radio & Intercom. I feel like that was a huge mistake and I could see this discouraging someone from buying it. Especially in the South West as we all buy better seatbelts, and we add radios & comms. During my discussion it was said they could in the future add a radio and comm unit module behind the dash and you control it from you center touch screen. It was said this would be a fairly easy implementation once the module is designed. It just software at that point.

The next thing I did not care for was how small the rear storage was. It was Yamaha YXZ small. They do offer a spare tire mount, but like Polaris & Can Am, it sits pretty high up. And because the radiator vents out in that storage tray, I’m not sure I’d want a cooler or storage box mounted there. I can’t see drinks staying cold, and I’d be concerned with blocking air flow.

IMG_3444.jpeg

I also like & dislike how they get air to the radiator. Coming from the sides of the body, allows the ability to use a windshield, but I’d also be worried about it getting blocked with dirt or debris. But my concern could be wrong and only time will tell us.

Now some other cool info. First off I forgot to
mention this Z10 should be available to purchase in December, and or January. They hoped to have it in dealers already, but a few small improvements like the improved CVT cover, and some of the texture patterns in the dash & door panels were fixed or improved, cause a slight delay.

CFMOTO is not done with just this new machine. I’m told it’s just beginning. They have a release schedule to release a new vehicle every six months. This could be a motorcycle, ATV, UTV or something. And with everyone wanting a wider (72-74 inch) wide car and more power. I’m speculating we might just see that by this time next year if not sooner?

Also being this team is so experienced and came from the top other brands, I’m thinking we are going to see some very cool, and more affordable models to compete with the top brands in all categories. There new UForce U10 with enclosed cab, AC and King Ranch style upholstery is directly competing with the Ranger or Defender, but at a fraction of the cost. I could see them going into the “Expedition” market with a twist. Remember some of these guys designed those machines a few years ago. I was told it’s strange to see the Z10 coming out as that was so 3 years ago for these designers and engineers. While they are excited to see the first of many finally coming to market, they are currently working on what we will see from CFMOTO in 2027. I’m told to watch out as they are coming with some cool stuff, and CFMOTO is ready to play with the big boys in the industry.

exciting for the SXS consumers to see new takes on our sport. And the price point is much better.

exciting for the SXS consumers to see new takes on our sport. And the price point is much better.
I think this is a huge plus for CFMOTO. In this price range you are looking at the Honda Talon, Polaris XP 1000, Kawasaki KRX, Segway Villian, Yamaha YXZ. None come close to the HP, none offer a turbo, and only Segway offers a better factory warranty.

This closest and probably real competitor in this $20K segment is the Can Am X3 DS. It’s the entry level X3 that is 64 inch wide, has a turbo engine with 135 hp. It’s a great Rotax engine, but less HP to the V10. The chassis still has the X3 flaws like no double shear mounts. Can Am eliminated the Fox shocks and went with Showa and they don’t have any electronic adjustment.

This car offers much more and has 143 hp and a turbo. It’s like getting a feee turbo in that pricing market. If this car is proven reliable, and sells well, taking some market share from the other brands. This could potentially force these other brands to lower their price point and step up in fit & finish.

Dang NIKAL, that's a ton of info. Thanks for taking the time to share all of that. I definitely like some of the design choices they made. I also like that they seem willing to learn from other brands.

CFMOTO has been around awhile, cool to see them jump in deep into the sport segment. It's a very nicely designed SXS.

For those who have not heard about CFMOTO or are interested in knowing more. Here are a few videos about CFMOTO USA.

"..I forgot to
mention this Z10 should be available to purchase in December, and or January. They hoped to have it in dealers already, but a few small improvements like the improved CVT cover, and some of the texture patterns in the dash & door panels were fixed or improved, cause a slight delay...."

There seems to be more than one story coming from dealers large and small regarding even a ballpark delivery date for these machines.
Most all claim that they cannot even place their orders for these two cars until December. Just as many are claiming a March or April 2025 delivery for the few machines that they will be allocated for this undetermined date. With nearly a month of small deposit required immediate orders piling up since launch; even those first in line are not hearing anything from the factory or those who should be in the know (dealers) as to who should expect what when given their place in line.
This aint SPEED (obviously) yet no other aspiring major manufacturer in the history of the sport has gotten away with this much hype and no firm delivery timeline.

Last edited:
Put yourself in the position of a dealer loyal to CFMOTO for years now:
The very best product that you have ever offered for sale at the very highest price point is killing your business with a budding major manufacturer as no one will put a (necessarily) non-refundable deposit down due to a crazy long delivery and no clue whatsoever as to when you will ever get another one after the first is sold...sometime after the spring of next year (with September not even over).
Why would one commit to this machine with such an aggressive release timeline being promised for the next and the next?
Love the machine yet perplexed with the mixed messages regarding Z10 deliveries to dealers of all sizes currently killing commitments in a down economy.

Last edited:
Put yourself in the position of a dealer loyal to CFMOTO for years now:
The very best product that you have ever offered for sale at the very highest price point is killing your business with a budding major manufacturer as no one will put a (necessarily) non-refundable deposit down due to a crazy long delivery and no clue whatsoever as to when you will ever get another one after the first is sold...sometime after the spring of next year (with September not even over).
Why would one commit to this machine with such an aggressive release timeline being promised for the next and the next?
Love the machine yet perplexed with the mixed messages regarding Z10 deliveries to dealers of all sizes currently killing commitments in a down economy.
Have you been introduced to the Speed SXS yet?.....LOL

"...Have you been introduced to the Speed SXS yet?.....LOL"

Appreciate the humor yet not apples to apples.
Too many of us have been first in line adaptors over the years and never believe that we will ever get the first of anything (exciting) from a dealer let alone their 2nd or 3rd delivery.
No orders until December and no deliveries before March or April only guarantees that we will likely get screwed again as orders from more important customers (or the showroom floor) take precedence and who knows how many additional orders pile up for 6 months or more.
This car may end up as a limited special pricing production 'loss leader' with actual pricing in the spring/summer/fall or whenever production finally catches up being much more than $20k.

Keep in mind also that CFMOTO has had to take on a whole lot of distributors here in the U.S. who were previously marginally or not at all 110% concentrated on power sports sales.
These dealer's present and future 'deserved' allocation expectations from CF for both past and current product sales/support is about to collide head on with a whole lot of larger current and potential pure power sport (mega) dealers who can tell Polaris, CanAm, etc. that they could care less if they like them selling CF or not.
These cars are going to be a tough find for a while if the new Mexico plant doesn't turn them out like hotcakes (fast).

It was said lots of dealer orders were taken at the dealer show. I don’t know what that means, or anything about dealers not being able to place orders until December? Maybe orders at a dealer show are just tentative commitments and not official? No idea? One number that was mentioned was they were expecting to build around 18,000 units. Dont know if that’s a thrown out number or what they are planning? I’d assume that’s for the model year, and I’d guess that’s both 2 & 4 seaters total? I’d also assume they are already manufacturing cars. If this is the case and if Dealers orders get processed in December, maybe it only takes a month to start seeing them at dealers? But just like every other brands new release, the first few deliveries are always committed for. So maybe you’re right that we won’t see cars sitting in dealer floors for walk ins for a few more months after it’s released?

When I asked about the pricing, and was this a “lost leader” price to get interest and then they increase the price? I was told thats not his dept, but he’s confident the price is what it is and it’s not going to go up after a few months. He said CFMOTO has always been about value. These guys know the margins Polaris & Can Am use, and CFMOTO does not need those margins to be competitive, as they don’t answer to stock holders. In fact it was said they might even be able to lower the MSRP if they get a different shock spring supplier, as the Eibach’s cost much more (around $400 more per car) then if they got a quality private label spring. Also the winch might be something they could remove or make an option, same with the metal roof. When a wider more hp car is released, I’m sure it’s going to cost more. I’d guess $2-3 grand more? But even then that’s allot less than the other brands.

I told him if they marked up the cost $400 to cover the Eibach springs, it would be worth it to the customer. For one, a spring kit is around $900-$1100, plus labor if you can’t do yourself.

Back