2006 CRF450r Paddle Tire Setup

Dillon13

Reaction score
I mounted a 110/90-19 Dunetik 8 cup paddle on my 06 CRF450r last weekend and ran into an issue where the paddle hits the shock guard at mid-high speed. I would like to keep the plastic shock guard on the bike which means I need a lower profile paddle, different gearing or a paddle that doesn't expand as much at speed. I'm currently running 14/48 gearing but I'm thinking about dropping it to 13/48 to gain some space. I currently have 0.25" between the paddle and shock guard which isn't enough. Can anyone share their paddle setup for this bike if they have one?

I always took my shock guard off and went with a boot on the shock.  

You other option is put another link in the chain and adjust it back for more clearance.

Pretty much any setup will hit. 

You can cut it shorter just above the swingarm or get thick cardboard material and use that if you don't want to cut it or just take it off. 

I use to have two. one for a knobby and one for a paddle. Two Phillips heads screws and your good to go. 

Also, used to remove stock guard and run a cut out from a 1 qt. Oil bottle. Flimsy enough to bend yet kept the sand from hitting the shock shaft. 

You definitely want some sort of shock guard to protect the shock shaft from being sandblasted. I would run your factory guard and keep the current gearing. Slide the wheel back and install a longer chain. Ideally, a new sprocket should go with the new chain. I would recommend an 2 piece alum. center / steel teeth sprocket for durability in the abrasive sand.

IMG_0718.jpg 

It always hits.  Buy an aftermarket one from Rocky Mtn.

Cycra Mud Flap

Polisport Air Box Mud Flap

Trim it so that it does not swing back as far, and you should be good.  Swap it out when going to the dunes, and then put your OEM guard back on for the desert and track.

You definitely want some sort of shock guard to protect the shock shaft from being sandblasted. I would run your factory guard and keep the current gearing. Slide the wheel back and install a longer chain. Ideally, a new sprocket should go with the new chain. I would recommend an 2 piece alum. center / steel teeth sprocket for durability in the abrasive sand.

View attachment 87039 
paddle clear.jpg

Maybe I'm just cheap but I remove the mud flap and put a strip of duct tape down the spring.  Doesn't look pretty but keeps the shaft from getting sand blasted.  I can't say I've had a trip where that didn't work 

Maybe I'm just cheap but I remove the mud flap and put a strip of duct tape down the spring.  Doesn't look pretty but keeps the shaft from getting sand blasted.  I can't say I've had a trip where that didn't work 
Definitely cheap... :lol:

I made a cut down mud flap that I used in the sand. I also went the chain route but would still rip that paddle off every couple of rides. Guys used to make a short flap from a laundry detergent jug. The cut down stock flap help up well and kept most of the sand off. 

On my '07 CRF450, I took the mud guard off and put on one of these shock covers. (generic picture from google).

Also added an extra link/masterlink to the chain. I've run that setup for 8 years with no issues.

REAR SHOCK COVER.jpg

Thanks for the input everyone. The chain and sprockets are brand new and I cut the chain to length. I initially tried cutting it at 116 links instead of the stock 114 but there was too much slop in the chain with the wheel slid all the way back, I had to cut it at 114 links. I also thought about cutting the shock guard but there are witness marks at least halfway up it from the tire so I would have to cut more than half of it off.

I ended up buying a 13t front sprocket, I'm not sure that will give me enough space but I figure it is a step in the right direction. Maybe I will get lucky after the new chain stretches in conjunction with the 13t front sprocket and it will work. If this doesn't work then I'm thinking that I will need to remove the shock guard and use one of those shock socks.

Only way that won't hit is run a 18" rim instead.  Get a rim off craiglist, the 450x rim will work as well.

Back